Short Course Description
This course is about being a leader. It is designed to be a nontraditional class focusing on learning about personal leadership skills within the context of an organization. The purpose is to enable each student to become a better leader, through a mixture of theoretical understanding and of honing skills through self-discovery. As a result, the course has a strong experiential focus. Students (and learning teams) have considerable responsibility for their own development and are responsible for planning and pacing themselves. Students will find it necessary and useful to meet with one another regarding assignments outside of normal class times.
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
1. Understand the difference between leadership and management
2. Use power and influence tactics to achieve their goals
3. Understand how to leverage networks to better lead in a rapidly changing world
4. Gain familiarity with the major leadership theories
5. Gain insight into their own leadership style